Enviro-Vigil’s Common Bio-Medical Waste Collection,Treatment and Disposal Facility (ISO 9001-2000 certified)
Our mission is to achieve a status of “Zero Bio-Medical Waste Society” and to make Thane as the first city in India to achieve this status.
Bio-Medical waste management has been our major activity for the past eight years.
- This kind of waste is being mistreated and mismanaged causing serious health hazards not only to the healthcare personnel, but also to the community.
- In managing Bio-medical waste, participation of healthcare community is crucial.
- Ministry of Environment and Forest (MoEF), Govt. of India along with Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) have formulated Bio-Medical Waste (Handling and management) Rules, 1998.
- In accordance to these rules, Enviro-Vigil has set up a ‘Common Bio-Medical Waste Treatment and Disposal Facility’ (ISO 9001-2000 Certified) for treatment and safe disposal of BMW.
- Healthcare workers, sweepers, ward boys; nurses and even the doctors are always at high risk due to continuous exposure to disease causing micro organisms.
- We have designed a training programme for these personnel. These people are given on site training regarding safe handling and proper segregation of BMW.
- Managed exclusively by an NGO, this facility has become a role model. We receive segregated waste from over 2500 plus hospitals that fall within the jurisdiction of Thane Municipal Corporation as well as Thane district.
- We have been able to provide an employment to about fifty people for running this facility and other related projects.
- The facility was dedicated to the citizens of Thane at the hands of Shri. Ram Naik, then Petroleum Minister, Govt. of India on 22nd June, 2003.
The salient features of this facility:
- The whole system has been authorized by MPCB for Collection, Transportation, Treatment and Disposal of BMW
- The required land and infrastructure has been provided by Thane Municipal corporation on rental basis
- Routine medical check up and required vaccination is carried out for the our employees who handle and manage the BMW.
- We have also obtained Medi Claim Insurance for these employees.
- To create the sense of awareness amongst the people we encourage local school & college students and general public to visit our facility.
- This facility has received “Good Green Governance” (G-Cube or G3) award from ‘SRISHTI” Publications, New Delhi for two consecutive years, i.e., 2006 and 2007